While some have been waiting for over a year to travel again, Mandarin Oriental Ritz Madrid has made good use of that time. Renovations began in 2018 and this five-star luxury hotel is now open as of April 15, 2021.
The Mandarin Oriental Ritz Madrid is a historic landmark that has hosted the “who’s who” of Spanish society, political elites, entertainers, business leaders and international guests for more than a century.
Originally opened in 1910, Mandarin Oriental Ritz Madrid has one of the best addresses — located in the Retiro district by the Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia museums, perfectly situated near the historic area and shopping.
What can you expect at the Mandarin Oriental Ritz Madrid?
Spanish architect Rafael de La-Hoz and the French designer duo Gilles & Boissier collaborated on the new concept and design. They also maintained the integrity of the Belle Époque architecture period (1871-1914) — which combines different styles from neo-Byzantine and neo-Gothic to classicism, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. The hotel is stunning and offers:
- 153 spacious guest rooms, including 53 suites
- 5 restaurants and bars
- An outstanding spa and wellness center
- Exclusive meeting and special event facilities
Mandarin Oriental acquired The Hotel Ritz Madrid in 2015 and announced its renovation of all rooms and public spaces, plus the new addition of a spa (which I hope to experience). You can now expect an updated hotel with the classic-contemporary feel you’d want today.
Mandarin Oriental Ritz Madrid Dining
Design, development and culinary operations for the hotel’s restaurants and bars was overseen by Chef Quique Dacosta, one of the most celebrated chefs in Spain. This includes:
- A signature Quique Dacosta restaurant: Overlook the famous hotel garden and includes a hidden Chef’s Table (a secret hideaway that will impress)
- Palm Court: Relax under the hotel’s historic and signature glass dome and enjoy all day dining and traditional afternoon tea served in elegant surroundings
- The Ritz Garden: Al fresco dining in a city oasis
- The Ritz Bar: Choose a classic cocktail menu in elegant surroundings
- Champagne Bar – Imbibe with an ever-changing selection of the most exclusive champagnes paired with a signature tapas menu
I’ve had the opportunity to visit the Madrid Ritz a couple of times in the past for tea and cocktails. I’m looking forward to a visit and future review to share. This is definitely a place to stay or just add to your plans when you’re in Madrid.
When planning to visit the Spanish capital, check our Madrid, Spain review.
For more information about Spain, visit spain.info.