Michael Jackson ONE is perhaps one of the most impressive performances I have experienced. The fusion of acrobatics, dance, visuals and music is truly an amazing tribute to the work, spirit and legacy of Michael Jackson. The story reflects four misfits set out on a transformative adventure. Guided and inspired by his music, by the the end, they personify Michael’s agility, courage, playfulness and love.
The name, Michael Jackson ONE, is a nod to the artist’s belief that all people are unique and equal, regardless of race or culture. His message was one of unity, harmony and hope for a better world. But the show’s creators also say they chose the name because it presents a paradox: Michael was a multifaceted artist who strove to fuse together various musical styles and art forms.
Through the aerial performance (which is a signature of Cirque du Soleil shows), acrobatics and choreographies, 63 dancers and performers — including one vocalist and one guitarist performing live on the stage — take you through the King of Pop’s music.
The sound system is state-of-the-art. Some of the songs have been rearranged, but you’ll feel as if he is right there in the theater. They include Beat It, Bad, Smooth Criminal, I’ll Be There, Man in the Mirror and others. And at the heart of the selections and performance is a world that is majestic, playful, magical and heart-warming.
Technical Elements of Michael Jackson ONE
The technical elements are quite impressive, and the story comes to life through lights and video — and Michael is projected into the show.
Four large towers are used and move throughout the show as platforms for the dancers and acrobats.
Two 96 foot overhead tracks have two acrobatic trolleys each for moving artists. And when they fly over the audience from the back of the house, the performers become part of the amazing light show.
And speaking of light, the stage includes 587 lighting fixtures and 295 custom LED fixtures built into the show’s various set pieces. 26 projectors display video content on the stage. Plus there are 11 TV monitors and a 40-ft-wide, 30-ft-high LED wall made up of 8 separate columns.
- Performances are Saturday to Wednesday at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Performances are Saturday to Wednesday at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- There are no performances on Thursdays and Fridays.
To Reserve Tickets:
- Call 877.632.7400 or 800-745-3000
- Go to www.cirquedusoleil.com/mjone or www.mandalaybay.com
- Visit the Michael Jackson ONE box office, the Mandalay Bay Events Center box office, or any of the MGM Resorts International box offices.
- $69, $99, $130, $140, $155, plus LIMITED Golden Circle seating. Prices do not include tax or fees.
- Saturday performance prices $69, $99, $130, $160, plus LIMITED Golden Circle seating. Prices do not include tax or fees.
- Tickets are available 120 days in advance of the performance date.
The show premiered on July 29, 2013. Have you been to Michael Jackson ONE at Mandalay Bay? If so, share your comments here.