Imagine an old industrial building — made of brick, steel and cement — that gets transformed into a modern, loft style hotel. That’s the Gastwerk Hotel in Hamburg. The space was originally used in the late 19th century as a gas plant. The Gastwerk is a refurbished industrial hotel that’s located about 15 minutes from the city center in Hamburg, Germany.
Experience the Gastwerk Hotel in Hamburg, Germany
- Gaswerk Hotel Guest Room 266 © 2013 Rob Hard
- Gasterwerk Hotel Day Spa Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Gastwerk Hotel Restaurant Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Entrance to the Gastwerk Hotel in Hamburg, Germany Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Gastwerk Hotel Wintergarten Room Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Gastwerk Hotel Junior Suite Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Gaswerk Hotel Guest Bath (my room) © 2013 Rob Hard
- Gaswerk Hotel Event Reception Cocktail © 2013 Rob Hard
- Gastwerk Hotel Lobby Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Hamburg Gastwerk Hotel Lobby Bar Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Hamburg Gaswerk Hotel Guest Room © 2013 Rob Hard
- Hamburg Gastwerk Hotel Atrium Lobby Courtesy image
- Hamberg Gastwerk Spa Courtesy image
- Hamburg Gastwerk Hotel Meetings Events Space Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Gastwerk Hotel Hamburg Meeting and Event Space Courtesy image from Hamburg Convention Bureau
- Hamburg Gastwerk Hotel Lobby Courtesy image
When you look left, you’ll find the restaurant and lounge, when you look right you’ll find the Conservatory — a long corridor that stretches the length of the building, and when you look up you’ll find an amazing amount of light flooding into the space as you view the five floors that comprise the building. Original artwork is integrated throughout the space, and after you spend a little time you’ll learn there’s also an artist in residence (and artist activities can also be incorporated into meetings and events).
Gastwerk is a hotel that is creative and flexible enough to host any range of corporate meetings and events. If you’re considering the Gastwerk for a meeting or staying there for business, here’s what you need to know (also see our business travel review of Hamburg, Germany).
The Gastwerk Guest Rooms
Gastwerk has six room types, and each is relatively unique — some face the interior of the hotel and others face outside (which helps to give a range of options for those who return to the hotel and yet feel like they’re staying somewhere new). I stayed in room 266, a loft room with a wall of windows and exposed brick, and about 30 square meters (roughly 325 square feet). And while that size seems small, it provided an efficient amount of space. The room included many vibrant layers, including a red carpet, a European style double bed, guest chairs, a leather bench and original black and white photographs on the wall. It included a flat screen TV (with several English speaking channels), free wi-fi, reasonably large desk and many of the standard hotel amenities expected by business travelers.
Gastwerk’s Bar and Restaurant
The overall theme of the hotel carries into the which have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The Mangold is a restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the menu is reasonably priced regional and international comfort food options. It’s worth noting that there’s a pleasant outdoor terrace that I think could be used as a great event space that also offers privacy. The bar is separate from the restaurant, and is a place where you can go at the end of the night and relax. There’s also a sitting area just outside of the bar where people gather.
Events and Meetings at the Gastwerk
Gastwerk has been recognized as a top hotel conference venue. With its unique and flexible space, it’s easy to see why. Gastwerk has several meeting rooms with outdoor light, and can comfortably host groups up to 200. And the standout is the conservatory – it can be transformed to host unique events, such as fashion shows and launches that can use the hotel’s guest floors to have attendees watching from above. It’s special.
The Gastwerk in Hamberg is a creative hotel that is stylish and distinctive. Being located out of the city center itself, the Gastwerk is still close enough while offering a sense of exclusivity and privacy. And because of Gastwerk’s unique design and history, staying here will certainly be remembered.
Planning a meeting or event in Hamburg? Contact the Hamburg Convention Bureau for more information.
Have you stayed at the Gastwerk in Hamburg? Share your experience here.